Saturday, May 12, 2012

Update on Evan

What to write about?  There's so much... I'll (hopefully) be posting more, as I've got a lot on my mind that needs to make it out, but I think for now I'll just stick with some updates on Evan.

Evan had a bit of struggle with his weight around two to four months of age.  He was gaining weight, but losing percentages on the growth chart, which apparently meant that he was not getting enough nutrition to grow.  Before you freak out, yes, I was feeding him... constantly.  Because of his cleft, Evan burns more calories when he eats than the average baby; it just takes more effort for him.  To counteract this, I had to add more calories to his milk. Here's the rub; Evan is lactose intolerant and apparently doesn't do well with soy either.  I was adding a teaspoon of formula to each 2.5 oz of breast milk that he ate; but he wouldn't eat it.  We went through four different types of formula, finally finding one that he could tolerate with minimal screaming.  Now that he's eating solids, he's gained quite a bit and at five months is filling out his six month clothes.  

Evan's first surgery is scheduled for June 1st, two weeks after we move to our new house.  I'm not looking forward to this.  I know it sounds weird, but his whole face is going to change in a matter of hours.  Yes, it's for the best, but it will take some getting used to.  Also, he won't be able to stick things in his mouth for a while, and that's his favorite activity right now (and I think he's teething...).  So the aftermath of the surgery could be... interesting.  This first surgery will be to repair his lip and reshape his left nostril so he can breath out of it.  He will most likely have ear tubes put in at this time as well.  He has yet to pass a hearing screen because of the fluid behind his ear drums.  We are hoping that the ear tubes will help this to drain and allow us to more accurately test his hearing.

I am constantly amazed that underground community of cleft families.  I would have never known about these amazing people if it hadn't been for Evan.  Almost everywhere I go, someone stops me and says "my baby had a cleft" or "my grandchild had a cleft" and offers encouragement and advice.  Most people in the area have gone to the same clinic we are going to, which has been a great comfort as they have all been very positive about their experiences with the doctors there.  Being the parent of a cleft baby is like secret club. No one knows about it until you're in it.  But they are amazingly supportive, wonderful people.  I'm blessed to get to know them and learn from their experiences! 

As for Evan himself, he is such a happy little guy!  He has discovered his toes and screaming.  He will spend a good chunk of his time sitting on the floor, grabbing his toes, and screaming at them.  He has also discovered his sister's curls and enjoys getting a good hold on them when she tries to hug him.

Well that's all the time I have for now!

Gweli i chi!
Amy

No comments: